Sunday, May 27, 2007

Class#4 Islam HOMEWORK(May 7)

1. How do you greet people in yourlife? Is it different for different people? Why?

I usually greet people with both words and action, and I greet in the different way for different people. For my family, I greet in the casual way, and I usually say "Ohayou" as soon as I get up, so I sometimes say it to my parents still closing my eyes!! For my friends, I usuallu say "Ohayou" regardless the time, for example, we greet saying "Ohayou" even though it is in the afternoon. I always think it is strange, but I often use this expression. For my teachers and other superiors, I always greet in the polite way aodding and saying "Ohayougozaimasu". I think Japanese people use different expressions to greet for different people, and it is natural in the society. On the other hand, in English, the expressions of greeting is not different very much, of course there are some expressions, for example "Good morning." and "Hi.". I think the difference is that we can say "Hi." to our teacher, but we can't say "Ohayou" to our teacher. It is important to greet in the proper way for people and situations, and smiling is necessary when we greet everyone!!

2. Do you touch people when you talk to them? Why? Or Why not?

I sometimes touch people, but it depends on person. I touch only close friends or boyfriend. Touching people is one of the expressions of communication and love, but I think we Japanese rarely hug people! When I stayed in England, my host mother often hugged me when we greet. I was happy then, and I felt it was natural, but in Japan, I don't hag my mother. I hug my mother when something goes well or her birthday, but it is the case of rare!! I think there are a lot of types of greeting in the world. I think it is interesting to follow the greeting customs unique to the land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home