Monday, June 04, 2007

Lesson 5 HOMEWORK Names and addresses

1. How do you choose a child's given name in your family?
How to choose the given name for a child is very interesting!! (I like to think about name very much ^ ^) First names of Japanese are well-known for me although there are some rare and interesting names recently. On the other hand, foreign names are attractive for me. Actually when I was a child, I wanted one more neme of Westerner-like!!
By the way, there are five of us in my family. Father, mother, an older sister, a cat and me. My parents gave a common Chinese character which is my mother's favorite one, for our (my sister, my cat and me) names. This way of choosing the given name is common in Japan, and my parents also considered the number of the letter. Many Japanese think it will influence a child's life!

3. Does your given name or your family name mean anything?
I don't know my family name has some meaning, but my given name has. It means "To come true my dream early." This wish is shown in Chinese characters which compose my name. Chinese characters have their particular meanings, so it is also interesting to think and guess the meanings of people's name from their Chinese characters.

7. How do you know if names are boy's names, girls' names, or both?
Our Japanese name is rather easy to know their sex because as I mentioned above, we can guess the sex from Chinese characters as well as we can think about the meaning of people's name from them. In addition, there are some kind of rules which Chinese characters are usually used for boys or girls. However there are some names which are applicable to both, for example my classroom teacher in my 7th grade, I assumed my new classroom teacher to be a man when I knew the name of the teacher's name, but actually it was a woman!! I misconceived her sex because I judged the sex from the Chinese characters and the sound of her name!!
By the way, I really like your children's names, Ms. Meiki♪♪ I was impressed to hear that their names are all related to the earth. It's wonderful!!

1 Comments:

Blogger sky blue said...

I also think modern Japanese child's given name is interesting because there are a variety of names. Though any name is wondeful, I am a pleasure what kind of name are popular from now on .

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home