Monday, June 04, 2007

Lesson 6 Names and Addresses HOMEWORK

1. Are feelings, emotioms and facial expressions universal across borders, happy, sad, etc...?
Yes, I think so, but I have some ideas. I think the facial expressions are almost universal, so generally, we laugh when we are happy, and we cry and be downcast when we are sad, in addition, our faces sometimes might turn red when we are angry or ashamed. However, there are some exceptions, for example, we sometimes hide our feelings by showing the facial expression that is actually opposite to the true feeling, especially "sad" and "ashamed". This case doesn't always happen, of course we often show our feelings directly when we are happy, and even we are angry. One of the reasons why people hide the facial expression of sadness might be not to worry someone our friends and family. Altough it is often said that people say "Don't worry alone!" On the other hand, I think showing our feelings directly is also good and rational. I especially want to show happy feelings when I am happy and I also want to smile even if I am sad, because smiling will be sure to bring a lot of hapiness!!

2. Try to name as many feelings as possible in Japanese. And write the English translation.
①嬉しいureshii "happy" ②悲しいkanasii "sad" ③眠いnemui "sleepy" ④楽しいtanoshii "happy" ⑤うきうきするukiukisuru "exhilarate" ⑥がっかりgakkari "disappointed" ⑦待ち遠しいmachidooshii "impatient" ⑧くつろぐkuturogu "relaxed" ⑨不安huan "nervous" ⑩有頂天uchouten "enraptured"
I found that English feeling words have some meanings of Japanese ones, so we can use "happy" for both ① and ④. I think Japanese feeling expressions have many more varieties than that of English.

3. Are there any feelings in Japanese that cannnot be translated into English?
Yes!! When I stayed in England, it was hard to explain "もったいないmottainai" feeling!! Japanese people often say "mottainai", but I don't know what is the best English translation, so I used the expression of "You don't have to do that." or another euphemism of "mottainai". There isn't the exact translation of "mottainai" in English, but we can say it in any way by using a lot of another English words!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rolf said...

Interesting, I always translated もったいない as "What a waste!" or "it's a waste of smthg" but there are some times that these don't work either.

8:11 PM  
Blogger samantha said...

Hi, yellow dress!! Thank you for commenting on my blog! I read your blog. Certainly "mottainai" is hard to translate into English. However the words that is hard to translate into English are wonderful words, I feel. For example, もったいない, しみじみ( you said) and おもむき, and so on.

1:55 AM  
Blogger yellow dress said...

Hi, samantha!! Yes, I agree with you!! We have a lot of wonderful words that we can't translate into English because if we translate them, their goodness will be losen.

5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home